In the fast-paced world of hospitality and food service, a commercial dishwasher is the unsung hero of the kitchen. It's the powerhouse that keeps operations running smoothly, ensuring a steady supply of hygienically clean dishes ready for the next serving. But like any hero, your dishwasher needs the right support to continue performing at its best.
In this guide, we explore the vital steps to improve dishwasher performance, maintain optimal hygiene levels, and ultimately extend the lifespan of your machine. From the importance of high-quality detergent and correct loading procedures to regular maintenance and staff training, we explain it all.
How Can I Improve My Dishwasher Performance?
To ensure your commercial dishwasher is performing at its best, there are several factors to consider, starting with the correct cleaning and maintenance, quality of detergent and the method of loading.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Proper cleaning and maintenance is paramount to ensuring the longevity and optimal performance of your commercial dishwasher. Establishing a regular cleaning schedule is essential, with daily cleaning tasks and periodic deep cleaning based on the dishwasher's usage and manufacturer's recommendations.
Quick Cleaning Tips:
- Daily Cleaning: Remove food debris, clean interior surfaces, wipe the exterior, and run a wash cycle.
- Weekly/Monthly Deep Cleaning: Inspect and clean interior components, check door gaskets, and ensure detergent and rinse aid levels are adequate.
When it comes to descaling, regular removal of mineral deposits is crucial to prevent damage to heating elements and other components. Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines and use a high-quality descaling solution for the best results.
In addition to proper cleaning, we also recommend regular serving by a professional technician (ideally once every 6 months). This will help to identify and remedy any potential faults before they become a problem and ensure the machine is functioning correctly.
Quality of Detergent
When it comes to cleaning, the quality of detergent plays a pivotal role. While it might be tempting to opt for cheaper alternatives, investing in high-grade cleaning agents will significantly enhance the cleaning results. This is because:
- Better Cleaning Power: High-quality detergents are formulated to effectively break down and remove tough food residues, grease, and stains, leaving your dishes sparkling clean.
- Protection for Dishes and Machine: Premium detergents often contain ingredients that protect your dishes and the dishwasher itself, prolonging their lifespan.
- Enhanced Efficiency: Superior detergents often require less quantity per wash, offering better value in the long run.
Correct loading of your commercial dishwasher is another crucial aspect that can make or break its performance. Incorrect loading can result in poor cleaning outcomes, wasted resources, and potential damage to the dishwasher itself. To maximize cleaning efficiency, consider the following tips:
- Pre-Rinse Dishes: Before loading, pre-rinse dishes to remove any large food particles.
- Load Strategically: Place dishes in such a way that they do not obstruct water jets, ensuring that every dish gets adequately cleaned.
- Avoid Overloading: Overloading the dishwasher can prevent dishes from being cleaned properly. Always adhere to the machine's capacity.
- Use the Right Baskets: Make sure dishes are placed in the correct baskets to avoid breakage and ensure optimum cleaning.
By paying attention to these crucial aspects, you can significantly improve the performance of your commercial dishwasher, ultimately saving time, resources, and money.
Water Pressure and Quality
The performance of a commercial dishwasher is heavily influenced by water pressure and quality. Both play a vital role in ensuring dishes come out clean, and the machine operates efficiently.
The water pressure in a commercial dishwasher determines how effectively it can remove food residues and grease from dishes. If the water pressure is too low, dishes might not be cleaned adequately. Conversely, too high-water pressure can cause damage to the dishes. It's important to:
- Regularly Check Water Pressure: Ensure the water pressure is within the manufacturer's recommended range for optimal performance.
- Monitor for Fluctuations: If you notice any sudden changes in water pressure, it might be indicative of a problem that needs addressing.
Water Quality and Treatment
The quality of water used in a commercial dishwasher plays a significant role in its performance. Hard water, which contains high levels of calcium and magnesium, can lead to:
- Limescale Buildup: Over time, hard water can cause limescale to accumulate in the dishwasher, potentially damaging its components.
- Poor Cleaning Results: Hard water can reduce the effectiveness of detergent, resulting in dishes that aren't properly cleaned.
To combat these issues, consider the following water treatment options:
- Water Softeners: These devices remove calcium and magnesium ions from the water, preventing limescale buildup.
- Filtration Systems: Filtration systems can remove impurities from the water, improving its quality and the dishwasher's performance.
- Chemical Treatment: Certain chemicals can be used to treat water, improving its quality and preventing limescale buildup.
For more information, read our article of various water treatment options available with commercial dishwashers and glass washers.
In conclusion, maintaining the right water pressure and ensuring water quality through proper treatment are crucial steps in maximizing the performance of your commercial dishwasher.
Staff Training & Education
The value of well-trained and informed staff cannot be overstated. When your team knows exactly how to operate and maintain the machine properly, you are not only ensuring optimal functionality but also preventing potential issues that could arise from misuse.
What Nelson Offers:
At Nelson, we recognise the importance of empowering staff with the right knowledge and skills. That's why we've developed a comprehensive training and education program that includes:
- On-site Training: Our expert technicians provide hands-on training at your location, ensuring that your team is proficient in operating the dishwasher, performing routine cleaning and maintenance tasks, and troubleshooting common issues.
- Educational Materials: In addition to on-site training, we provide a range of educational materials that serve as valuable reference tools for your staff. These include user manuals, cleaning guides, maintenance checklists, and more.
Benefits of Staff Training & Education:
- Improved Machine Performance: Well-trained staff will operate the dishwasher in the most efficient manner, ensuring that it delivers optimal cleaning results.
- Reduced Risk of Breakdowns: Proper operation and regular maintenance by knowledgeable staff can prevent common issues that may lead to breakdowns.
- Increased Machine Lifespan: Consistent care and correct usage contribute significantly to extending the lifespan of your commercial dishwasher.
- Compliance with Health & Safety Regulations: Adequate training ensures that staff are aware of and adhere to relevant health and safety regulations.
By investing in the training and education of your staff, you are ultimately investing in the longevity and efficiency of your commercial dishwasher. And with Nelson's, you can rest assured that your team has the knowledge and skills they need to keep your dishwasher running smoothly for years to come.
Owning a commercial dishwasher is not just about having a machine that cleans dishes; it's about investing in an asset that plays a critical role in the efficiency and success of your food service operation. As we've outlined in this guide, optimising the performance and extending the life of your commercial dishwasher involves a multi-faceted approach. From choosing the right detergent to implementing regular cleaning and maintenance routines, each aspect contributes to the machine's overall performance and longevity. In summary, a commercial dishwasher is more than a one-time investment; it's a long-term commitment that, when managed properly, pays off in spades.
Get in Touch
Feel free to contact us for more information on purchasing or caring for your commercial dishwasher.